The role as Head of Capex Procurement relates to the capital investment projects across the Paper division. The role exists to secure the necessary cost/quality-based choice of suppliers to Capex projects in close corporation with the project management team and the relevant divisional and group functions (Legal, Asset Management, Health & Safety etc.).
The emphasis will be on successful, efficient and aligned (pre-)selection of and negotiation with suppliers for large and small Capex projects ranging from consultancy, services, equipment and buildings using the group templates for supplier selection and contract negotiation within the mandate of the capex project under guidance and direction by the divisional procurement director.
The role will rely on presence and availability to the local project teams as necessary to work as an integrated part of the project team and to meet, benchmark and negotiate with suppliers.
In addition the role shall ensure relevant alignment and coordination with other relevant efforts across the division and, where relevant, the group.
The role will also be responsible for creating a “more for less” holistic approach to the capex budget and driving value optimisation activities throughout the project lifespan, including a strong warranty and after-market support from key suppliers.
For one of our clients, located in Amsterdam, we are searching for a Head of CAPEX procurement. The company is a leading provider of corrugated packaging, is present in 37 countries. Their business model is focused on sustainable packaging. To support the production of high quality, cost effective corrugated packaging, they manufacture paper and have a recycling business to source fibre for this activity.
The paper division consists of 10 paper mills located in Europe and employes approximately 3.000 employees.
The Areas of Responsibility and Key Accountabilities for this position are as followed:
- Manage Capex procurement spend in close cooperation with local mill management and identify cost and value optimisations within the budget limitations.
- Maximises DS Smith’s purchasing power to improve its competitive edge and to deliver best value.
Project sourcing time schedule
- Identify the relevant lead time for key components/services and work to the necessary order date to comply with the overall project schedule.
- Seek and establish lasting business relationships with relevant suppliers for key components/services cf. Divisional investment strategy and pre-qualify these for tender and ordering processes.
Supplier tender process
- Plan and execute the tender process with respect to the overall project schedule and ensure relevant documentation from stakeholders in time.
Benchmarking and supplier selection
- Following the tender process benchmark incoming offers and select the optimum supplier in close cooperation with the project manager.
Contract negotiation strategy and deployment
- Strong emphasis on negotiation of supply contracts in line with group templates and use legal assistance where needed.
Project and business engagement
- Seek and create strong engagement with the local Capex project teams as well as the divisional business stakeholders and act as respected category/procurement advisor within the business and externally as appropriate.
- Develop relationships with stakeholders in division and across the business to understand the needs of the business.
- Engage and liaise with operational teams and divisional Asset Management to improve overall equipment efficiency across the Paper division.
Cost reduction activities
- Identify opportunities for cost reductions in Capex projects considering business requirements of all mills and across divisions where relevant.
Leadership and process accountability
- Display leadership as the driving force for the significant project procurement scope and be accountable for making the right decisions and processes for the benefit of the business.
- Conducts procurement activities in accordance with stated ethics, CSR and other procurement and legal policies.
- Engage with relevant stakeholders in local mills, the division, the group and in the supply market to deliver the optimum result in line with the business strategy, project scope and Capex procurement budget.
Handover procedure from project phase to operations
- Create and execute a proper and thorough handover from project phase to business operation of all procurement related issues.
- Report project progress and obstacles regularly and in due time to project management and divisional procurement director.
- Apply cost reduction racking using the agreed tracking tool (Provalido)
- Degree or equivalent in sourcing of equipment and related services, contract negotiation, preferably for Paper manufacturing.
- Professional qualification in procurement.
- Procurement, contract negotiation and supplier relationship management.
- Multi-discipline background in sourcing, supply market analysis and intelligence, sub-project management, some understanding of heavy machinery manufacturing and/or construction services
- 8-10 years business experience including capital investment projects and support functions.
- High cost/impact equipment procurement experience
- Challenging position within a fast growing international blue chip organisation.
- Excellent compensation and benefits
If you are interested, you can apply via our website. For questions you can contact Pim van Meeuwen via +31(0)43 326 08 00 or +3188.8.131.52.11. Looking forward to your application!