Smurfit Kappa is an industry leader with 350 production sites around the world. Globally, 46,000 are employed in 35 countries. They own approximately 68,000 hectares of forest globally. Their forest estate management is based on sustainable development principles, promoting economic growth, a responsible use of natural resources and fostering social equity. SK provides recycling solutions to ensure our clients’ corrugated packaging and paper is recycled responsibly, efficiently and reliably. We reprocess over 6.5 million tonnes of recovered paper across the globe. They manufacture a wide range of papers mainly used for packaging purposes. Their total global paper and board capacity is approximately 7.6 million tonnes per annum. SK designs, manufacture and supply paper-based packaging to package, promote and protect their customers’ products. They manufacture approximately 11.5 billion square metres of corrugated packaging and have key supply positions in solidboard, folding carton and tube markets.
People are their biggest asset. Because they invest so much in the training and development of their staff at every level, they have the best and most experienced people ready to work at every stage of production. This combination of experience and expertise means better packaging solutions, better value and better production timelines for their customers.
SK set themselves the highest targets of sustainability and they achieve them, because quite simply, their belief is that if we look after the environment, it looks after us. Our integrated production system means we can ensure that we operate in an environmentally responsible and sustainable way.
The Virgin Fibre Cluster consists of five locations, e.g. Nettingsdorf (next to Linz), Nervion (next to Bilbao), Sanguesa (next to Pamplona), Facture (next to Bordeaux) and Pitea (in Sweden).
For the cluster, we are in search of a Health & Safety Advisor. This position is reporting directly to the CEO of the Virgin Fibre Cluster who is located in Nettingsdorf (Austria) and with a dotted line to the VP S&H of SK Paper Europe who is located in Amsterdam.(The Netherlands)
A unique opportunity in influence the safe operation of a multi-site Cluster – supporting the Cluster CEO and line management to operate in line with SKG & European H&S Policies by developing local standards and management systems. Support and challenge (where necessary) the implementation of said system.
- To support (with timely challenge) the Cluster CEO toensure that the Cluster procedures and managementsystems are sympathetic to SKG & Europeanrequirements.
- Ensure the Cluster implement (and own) their agreedStrategy, systems and processes across all sites.
- Support, advise and coach line management to adoptand use H&S procedures across the Cluster.
- Monitor compliance with SKG & European Policies.
- Monitor and report on H&S performance within theCluster and subsequently hold the business toaccount for performance as required.
- Ensure that H&S Improvement Plans are developedand challenge the implementation of these.
- Manage the performance and activities of the H&SAdvisors at each location.
- Delivery and implementation of Europe wide H&Sinitiatives to ensure strong adoption and value withinthe cluster.
- Promote consistent application of Standards andrecording/reporting of incidents.
- Develop relevant initiatives to influence managersand employees to analyse and improve behavioursand attitudes.
- Organisation and execution of health and safetyaudits.
- Clear understanding of H&S functional costs andbudget control within the Cluster in support of theoverall budget.
- SKG & European requirementsinbuilt to Cluster H&S Strategy.
- Functioning team that arePerformance managed.
- Effective use of the safetymanagement system.
- Periodic challenge to operationsperformance based on empiricalevidence.
- A clear and applied annual Safety Improvement Plan.
- Bachelor / Master Degree
- Demonstrable operational experience and insight
- Experience Process Safety Management (PSM)
- Strategic H&S involvement
- Multi-site experience
- H&S Policy/Standard implementation
- Audit experience
- Speaks fluent English
- Passionate and clear commitment to (and belief in) the message that all incidents and injuries are preventable.
- Clear and demonstrable desire for continuous improvement.
- Strong problem solving acumen.
- Relationship building within the wider operational team.
- Analytical strength to define systems and documentation based on empirical knowledge and insight.
- Project management skills.
- Clear and effective communication skills
- Sees the bigger picture – avoids the parochial outlook and “keeps the glass half full”.
- Flexibility to travel extensively throughout the VFC cluster; up to 50 %.
- Experience of similar role/level within a relevant sector(s).
- Strong academic background supported by H&S experience (academic and vocational).
- Minimum five years experience within an industrial setting, plus experience in a central staffing position.
- Speaks fluent English, and preferably Spanish and/or French
- Previous experience of H&S systems development including core processes that are tailored to business need including but not limited to incident investigation, risk mitigation, development of Standards and Strategy development.
- Development and management of professional teams with associated budget control.
- Clear understanding and belief in behavioural based safety and visible felt leadership.
- Coaching, mentoring and developing people.
For more information, you can contact Pim van Meeuwen (+31 653265511). If you want to apply, you can click on the ‘apply- button’.