SPE&i is a transformational journey – which was launched at Sappi in 2016 – that aims to sustainably drive operational excellence by harvesting the potential of every individual in our company. Working within a framework of operational excellence, the journey starts with collating from the teams what runs well and what can be improved. This empowers them to start working on improvement topics and building new habits of working together. It also encourages teams to use the ideas, experience and knowledge of all team members, building effective and efficient processes to create value for our internal/external customers.
In collaboration with the Organisational Development Department the transformation is supported by a programme to grow Sappi’s leaders towards agile leadership, coaching their teams to reach outstanding performance.
Formed in 1936 in South Africa, Sappi established itself in Europe through a series of acquisitions that started in the 1990’s in the UK, Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands. Our acquisition of M-real in 2009 provided a 50% growth of our production capacity. In 2017, Sappi Europe generated 48% of group sales.
Headquartered in Brussels, Belgium, Sappi Europe is the leading European producer and supplier of coated fine paper, packaging and speciality papers. In Europe we have ten mills, 14 sales offices and 5,700 employees.
We are looking for an Operational Excellence Manager for Sappi’s mills in Lanaken and Maastricht. In this role you will report to the Organization Development Lead Belgium / The Netherlands / Finland / Scotland. You will be responsible to promote, facilitate and execute the consistent roll-out of the SPE&i roadmap components in Lanaken / Maastricht and at any other Sappi Europe location / functional area as needed. You will challenge (senior) management in their accountability to drive and embed transformational change, whilst your Organisational Development colleague is working on growing our leaders towards agile leadership. You will be incremental in defining a consistent implementation of our CI strategy / approach. You will functionally steer the Continuous Improvement experts located across our European Manufacturing sites and have the CI expert for Lanaken reporting to yourself.
- Promote, facilitate and execute the consistent roll-out of the SPE&i roadmap components in Lanaken / Maastricht and at any other Sappi Europe location / functional area as needed.
- Challenge (senior) management in their accountability to drive and embed transformational change, whilst your Organisational Development colleague is working on growing our leaders towards agile leadership.
- Functionally steer the Continuous Improvement experts located across our European Manufacturing sites and have the CI expert for Lanaken reporting to yourself.
- You have at least a Master degree preferably in Business or Industrial Engineering;
- You have in-depth experience in driving transformational change;
- You have in-depth knowledge and experience on CI tools and methodologies;
- You have proven your ability to lead, and motivate others;
- You have project management experience and have managed total work systems, demonstrated on-time delivery and achievement of objectives;
- You have proven your ability to apply Continuous Improvement methodology with Impact;
- You are able to organise engaging communication to different target groups by being an engaging leader and change driver;
- You have demonstrated personal flexibility, you are open and receptive and an excellent listener;
- You maintain excellent stakeholder and peer relationships;
- You are comfortable around higher management;
- You speak and write fluently Dutch (mother tongue) and English;
- You are able to travel regularly within Europe including nights away.
If you have any questions or remarks concerning this position, you can contact Pim van Meeuwen via +31 43 326 08 00 or +316 53 26 55 11