Sappi is a global diversified woodfibre company focused on providing dissolving wood pulp, packaging and speciality papers, graphic papers, as well as biomaterials and biochemicals serving customer based across more than 150 countries. Sappi has over 12,800 employees in over 35 countries and manufacturing operations on three continents.
Sappi delivers micro and nano fibrillated cellulose in a sustainable manner to a wide variety of paper business as well as adjacent businesses under the brand name of Valida. Sappi build a Valida pilot plant at the Brightlands Chemelot Campus in Geleen, The Netherlands. By mastering the structure-functional-properties, R&D is enabling innovative application development and supporting with fundamental understanding new market introduction developing sustainable value to replace incumbent solutions.
The Nanocellulose Competence Center is part of the Sappi Europe Research and Development, located in Maastricht, and having satellite development in the North America and South Africa regions. A team of top-notch scientists coordinate fundamental understanding of the material properties, developing for novel applications, identifying breakthrough technologies and supporting stakeholders to deliver sustainable value true Valida utilization.
An Engineer Nanocellulose Technology vacancy is posted in this team, with location in Maastricht, The Netherlands.
Purpose of the job
- Scouting, landscaping, and validation of novel technologies to deliver Valida with tailored characteristics produced with a lower carbon footprint.
- Ad-hoc development supported by fundamental knowledge translation to material characteristics and application development via fast prototyping serving Sappi’s core business as well as for new market entries adjacent and businesses.
- Budget and project management responsibilities, as well as coordination with internal and external stakeholders are integral part of the position.
Key result areas:
- Scouting, landscaping, and validation of novel technologies
- Prototyping with an eye to application development for market introduction and translation of principles to other businesses
- Process management, conceptual and logical data analysis
- Strategic planning, with clear understanding of stage gate processes, organization, scheduling
- Execution and development of non-standard highly specific laboratory investigations requiring for solving specific research questions.
- Assist in coaching of laboratory technicians. Apply situational leadership. Contribute to the development of people both for technical and people skills.
- Maintaining effective relations in project teams, assuring adequate project execution.
- Create external network in order to execute project work in effective way. Establish contacts with institutes (for example universities) and external companies to assure access to new developments.
- Maintaining a structured communication-network between various R&D-centres of Sappi, both regional as well as on a global scale (in multi-regional projects).
- Maintaining effective relations with Manufacturing and Purchasing.
Research and analytical tools
- Development and implementation of effective and efficient tools and equipment to be used in research, development and testing.
- A PhD in Biochemistry / Chemical Engineering / Process Technology
- 0-3 year working experience within the industry;
- Proven track record of scouting and validation of Technology
- Understanding of prototyping principle
- Fundamental knowledge of solution chemistry
- Proven track record of project management, stage gate process knowledge is a plus;
- Developed presentation skills
- Deductive and inductive thinking
- High interest in breakthrough technologies and sustainable application developments;
- Agile, adaptable, and flexible, able to correlate developments and operate in high volatile environment,
- Proactive and curious, with critical and analytical thinking features to master the complexity of the tasks timely
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English,
- Team player, engaged to company success;
- Working with a top-notch team of scientists and engineers
- Good environment to develop
- International environment
- Excellent compensation and benefits package
Application / information
If you have any questions, please contact Pim van Meeuwen – 06-53265511. If you want to apply, you apply directly via our website.