The Central Lean Manager – shapes, drives & develops implementation of the DS Smith Operating Model (OPOM)
DS Smith is a leading provider of sustainable packaging solutions, paper products and recycling services worldwide. Over the past 80 years the organisation has grown dramatically, as have our services and areas of expertise. Today, they operate in more than 30 different countries, proudly employing over 30,000 people. It’s thanks to the skills and knowledge of our employees that we are able to provide our customers with strategic support across their entire packaging Supply Cycle.
The Supply Engine Operational Excellence department is responsible for shaping, driving and implementing the DS Smith Operational Model across the Paper Mills in Europe.
Lean Operating Model Implementation
- Facilitating Workshops & engaging Key Stakeholders
- Developing & implementing Lean Rollout Plans
- Developing & implementing standardised tools & approaches
- Tracking & reporting implementation progress
Process Management & Improvement
- Applying Lean knowledge & experience o Analysing & evaluating performance, processes & existing ways of working
- Identifying & implementing approaches to operate business processes more effectively; and deliver sustainable performance improvement
Asset Management optimisation
- Identifying & implementing improvements to maximise readiness and effective utilisation of assets
- Developing manufacturing capabilities, by combining reliability engineering with Lean
Lean Competence Development
- Acting as Lean specialist
- Developing training materials & plans
- Delivering training & providing coaching
Knowledge & Best Practice Sharing
- Translating & codifying best practices as Standard Work
- Establishing & implementing processes for sharing knowledge and best practice
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES & AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Health, Safety and Environment
- Ensure a safe working environment is maintained at all times.
- Reports any defects, short comings including any incidents and injuries immediately.
- Assists with company investigations, Risk Assessments & SSOW (Safe Systems of Work).
- Ensure the safety of all work colleagues, contractors, visitors and where relevant members of the public to ensure any health and safety risks are minimised.
- Comply with any site’s Environmental Management System (EMS), including environmental procedures and work instructions.
- Report potential hazards to the environment, and environmental incidents, and assist with company investigations as required. Assist with risk assessments and the development of the EMS.
- Ensure all employees and / or sub- contractors under direct control follow the requirements of EMS.
- Ensure all raw materials are used efficiently and actively work to reduce D S Smith Paper’s environmental impact.
- Seek continuous improvement in quality processes
- Develop understanding of customer needs & wants; and continually improve processes to satisfy
- Risk manage and statistical analyse impact of process improvement interventions on quality
Processes (Mobilising Change)
Operating Model & Core Tools
• Develop & implement OPOM throughout the organisation
• Develop & implement standardised tools and approaches that support performance development
• Drive new ways of working & behavioural change that promote a culture of operational excellence
Process Transformation Leadership
• Ensure adequate diagnostics & rollout plans are in place, support their development & execution as required
Process Management & Improvement
• Apply lean knowledge & experience
• Shape & conduct diagnostics, benchmarking and problem solving
• Identify & implement approaches to operate business processes more effectively; and deliver sustainable performance improvement
• Translate & codify best practices as Standard Work
Asset Management Optimisation:
• Identify & implement improvements to maximise readiness and effective utilisation of assets
• Develop manufacturing capabilities, by combining reliability engineering with lean
Knowledge & Best Practice
• Establish & implement processes for sharing knowledge & best practice sharing across the organisation; with the specific purpose of driving global standards and continuous improvement, whilst promoting people involvement and continuous learning
• Conduct continual research of lean manufacturing & new technology
Team Management & Leadership
- Provide inspirational leadership to deliver clearly defined targets and objectives
- Establish & maintain effective relationships with Key Stakeholders
- Effectively lead & facilitate workshops
- Provide coaching on lean Tools & management practice
- Liaise with colleagues in Lean Network
- Co-ordinate, conduct and develop Lean assessments across the organisation
- Develop and deliver internal Lean communications (e.g. Newsletters/Brochures, Workshops/Briefings, Etc.)
- Develop content and systems used for Lean communications
Planning & Reporting
- Develop project objectives & plans
- Develop KPIs & Benefits tracking
- Review implementation progress through activity & benefits tracking; and leading regular stakeholder review meetings
- Measure, review, produce and circulate progress reports as required
Training & Education
- Develop training materials on Lean Tools & Techniques
- Create Lean training & competency development plans
- Coordinate and deliver Lean training and development programmes
- Lead and support Site Lean Practitioner
Financial Responsibility/Cost Control
- Realisation of Lean savings from Focused Improvement Projects & Performance Improvements on sites.
- Effective management of costs associated with Lean budgets
- Achievement of stretch targets for savings and costs
- Operational Excellence Function – development and implementation of plans that support the further rollout and effectiveness of Our Paper Operating Model (OPOM) across the organisation; and corresponding performance improvements
- Site Teams – support creation & execution of local plans; develop through facilitation, training & coaching
Education & Certifications
- Technical Master’s Degree (or equivalent via experience)
- Detailed knowledge & demonstrable application experience of Lean / Continuous Improvement methodologies (6 Sigma)
- Fluent in English and ideally at least one other European language
Job Specific Technical Requirements
- A motivated self-starter with the ability to work under pressure & prioritise tasks effectively
- Possess both a strategic mindset & pragmatic hands-on approach
- Strong analytical skills & problem-solving ability
- Ability to effectively engage & influence stakeholders at all levels
- Excellent communication skills, both written & verbal; and ability to facilitate, train and coach
- Flexibility & adaptability
- Willingness to travel (at least 80% of working time)
- Managing Operational Excellence Improvement activities in capital intensive continuous manufacturing environments, preferably multisite (Paper or Packaging is an advantage)
- Excellent understanding of project management principles
- A challenge within a leading international company
- Excellent compensation & benefits package
Paper Support One is an executive search agency specialized in the pulp, paper and board industry. DS Smith works exclusively with Paper Support One for Central Lean Manager position. If you have any questions, please contact Pim van Meeuwen (+31653.265.511)
Looking forward to your application!
You can upload your CV via the “APPLY” button.