The purpose of the role is to ensure alignment with corporate goals and delivery of major capital projects according to business case assumption or better. The job holder will ensure corporate standards are implemented and improved, develops synergies from the learnings to improve for later projects, and documents best practise.
DS Smith is a leading provider of sustainable packaging solutions, paper products and recycling services worldwide. Over the past 80 years the organisation has grown dramatically, as have their services and areas of expertise.
DS Smith has a program of Strategic Capex to support organic growth and deliver sustainability targets. To ensure that these investments are correctly delivered, the Paper Division is building a centralised team to provide local projects with expertise and provide central governance. The role will be part of the newly formed Paper Strategic Capex team, comprising engineering and technical experts, and led by the Paper Head of Strategic Capex. The responsibility for successful project delivery will stay with the local business, so it is very important the incumbent of this role has a supportive, teamworking mindset. Areas of important focus are Health & Safety and Risk Management.
- A divisional role in close contact with project team and project manager
- Direct dealings with the operations team and technical teams in the Mills
- Responsible for maintaining good working relationships with internal customers through best practice in communication and developing solutions
- Represents the business as an Ambassador for the Division
Health & Safety
- Provides support to ensure that Group policies and procedures are adhered to
- Strongly promotes culture of zero accidents
- Maintain and develop contacts with major suppliers and operational teams
- When necessary build and lead and future sub-team
Definition phase/ Strategy
- Provides technical due diligence for strategy development and strategic evaluations to support divisional and Group Corporate Goals in cooperation with operation teams
- Evaluates in close cooperation with the customer and sales the desired product portfolio and desired specifications and demand profile for new capacities.
- Supports the business case development (production capacity, ramp up, product quality, …)
- Provides the technological request description for the tender documents
- Leads the technological discussion with supplier and decides, in close alignment with project team and ops team about technological concept, provides technical concept and supplier comparison and derives to technical/technological recommendation to the project manager and team.
- If applicable for a project, follows up concept trials and verifies changes in the project scope.
- Negotiates the technical/operational take over conditions, negotiates the performance guarantee contract, verifies the capacity calculations of the suppliers.
- Follows the project execution and signs off technologically relevant engineering documentation from suppliers (Water and stock balance, Ventilation scheme, Vacuum scheme, Stock- and Approach flow scheme and balance, …).
- Develops training programme for the future operational teams together with the suppliers and local teams, trains staff.
Implementation > start
- Prepares technological commissioning plan and trains the team for commissioning.
- Proposes production programme for start up phase.
- Follows up the erection and cross checks specification with delivery. Flags any deviation with the project manager
- Technological lead during start up on site. Accountable to achieve take over conditions. At least 2 weeks before start-up until take over permanently on site
Implementation > Ramp up
- Accountable for machine ramp curve achievement
- Monitors performance guarantee status and is responsible for guarantee achievement
- Accountable for FAC achievement. At least biweekly onsite to train and facilitate hand over, monitor progress and set targets
- Develops, owns and maintain technological and concept standards for new machinery in close alignment with ops team.
- Defines minimum performance parameters.
- Provides learnings in form of best available technology documents (BAT document)
- Maintains a friendly speech and being very clear on facts.
- Being very communicative and distributive with information’s related to his work to leverage benefits within the division
- Master Degree or equivalent in Engineering
- Professional qualification in paper manufacturing or mechanical engineering, practised in paper industry in production or on supplier side
- Drive for results under pressure
- Experience in project implementation in paper industry
- Clarity of communication: ability to convey technical details to senior management
- Very collegiate approach
- Strong Teamwork, and mentality of coaching and support
- Attention to detail
- Strong presentational skills
- Appreciation of key Project Risks- including positioning them in the context of business delivery
- Ability to travel intensively
- 10+ years, business experience
- Paper industry experience mandatory
- Track record on major paper machine rebuild project and/or new machine project from negotiation to FAC
- A challenging position within the paper division of blue chip company with 14 paper mills in Europe and 2 in the United States
- A full portfolio of CAPEX projects
- Excellent C&B package
- Bonus of 30%
- Company car
- Home office
DS Smith works exclusively with Paper Support One for the recruitment of candidates for the Operational Exellence Manager position. You can contact Pim van Meeuwen for additional information about DS Smith or the position. (+ 31 43 326 08 00 / +31 653 26 55 11)
Please upload your CV via the “APPLY” button.
We are looking forward to meeting you!